“Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position.” – James 1:9 (NIV)
You may be lacking material possessions, but you have undiminished possessions in Christ. As James exhorts us to grow up and mature in our faith, he reminds us to stay humble. We must recognize that our possessions, our material wealth, all come from Him. He is the provider of all.
Don’t judge your worth on man’s standards because we are royalty in Christ, co-heirs of His kingdom. This is a profound truth. So often we look to our possessions and bank accounts to determine wealth. How many suits in the closet? How many cars in the garage? How many bedrooms in your home? This is a worldly perspective. God cares a lot more about our hearts.
What does it mean to be royalty? It means we have been completely forgiven of our sins; it means we have been given an immeasurable gift; it means we have a responsibility to share this gift with others.
The Bible teaches that for us who are In Christ…
- There is no condemnation for us (Romans 8:1)
- We can never be separated from God’s love (Romans 8:39)
- We who are many form one body (Romans 12:5)
- We have wisdom from God (1 Corinthians 1:30)
- Our labor is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:58)
- We are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- We become God’s children (Galatians 3:26)
- We have every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)
- We have the forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7)
- We were also chosen (Ephesians 1:11)
- We are for the praise of his glory (Ephesians 1:12)
- We have been seated in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 2:6)
- We’ve been given the incomparable riches of God’s grace (Ephesians 2:7)
- We who were once far away have been brought near (Ephesians 2:13)
- We are built together as a holy building (Ephesians 2:22)
- We may approach God with freedom and confidence (Ephesians 3:12)
- We are light (Ephesians 5:8)
- Our joy overflows (Philippians 1:26)
- All our needs are met according to his glorious riches (Philippians 4:19)
- We are holy and faithful (Colossians 1:2)
- All things hold together (Colossians 1:17)
- We have our hope of glory (Colossians 1:27)
- We become fully mature (Colossians 1:28)
- Are hidden all treasures of wisdom and knowledge for us (Colossians 2:3)
- We are rooted and built up (Colossians 2:7)
- We have been given the fullness of the deity (Colossians 2:9-10)
- We come into reality (Colossians 2:17)
- Our life is now hidden (Colossians 3:3)
- We will rise from the dead (1 Thessalonians 4:16)
- We can give thanks in all circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
- We have faith, hope, and love (1Timothy 1:1, 14)
- We can gain an excellent standing and great assurance (1 Timothy 3:13)
- We have the promise of life (2 Timothy 1:1)1
What a staggering list!
It is funny to see folks in this world act with an air of superiority. Some think they are better than others based on their economic position. They fail to realize that Christ paid the same price for the poor and rich. He died for all, that all may receive grace, forgiveness, eternal life.
So, Christian, be humble in this world, Christ has already exalted you in His kingdom!
What about you?
Do you act with humility?
Do you look down on others with an air of superiority?
Do you gauge success based on worldly or godly standards?
How might you take pride in your royal position?
1=List compiled by Soul Shepherding.